- What is Showmax?
Showmax, launched in 2015 and available in more than 40 markets across the continent, is a leading African streaming service. It offers a unique combination of original African content, first and exclusive international series, popular movies, premium documentaries and the best kids’ shows, and will soon offer a mobile-only product to watch the Premier League (PL). Showmax is jointly owned by MultiChoice (JSE: MCG), the leading video entertainment platform and biggest producer of content in Africa, and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA), one of the world’s biggest media companies.
- What live sport from SuperSport is available on Showmax Pro Mobile?
- Football: English Premier League, LaLiga, Serie A, FA Cup, UEFA Champions and Europa Leagues (SA, Lesotho, Mauritius only), DStv Premier League, and more
- Motorsport (not available in SA, Lesotho & Mauritius): MotoGP, Dakar Rally, NASCAR Cup and more
- Tennis (not available in SA, Lesotho & Mauritius): All Grand Slams and ATP Tour events
- Athletics: Diamond League, World Challenge League and more
- Running: Berlin, Boston, London, NYC, Soweto Marathons and more
- Cycling (not available in SA, Lesotho & Mauritius): Tour De France, World Tour events and more
- Boxing: Selected IBF, WBA, WBO, WBC and African Boxing events
- Other: Triathlon, Gymnastics, and Squash
- Other (SA, Lesotho & Mauritius only): Swimming, Diving, Pool, Snooker, Horse Racing, Netball, Hockey, Extreme Sports, eSports, SA Basketball, and much more.
This list is subject to change based on rights limitations from sporting bodies and events availability may vary from country to country. We are constantly adding new, exciting events to our catalog and will keep you updated.
Note that after the Showmax relaunch in 2024, Showmax Pro Mobile will be replaced by a mobile-only Premier League plan, known as Showmax Premier League.
- What devices does Showmax work on?
- Personal Computers - via web browsers
- Apple devices - iPhone, iPad, Apple TV
- Android devices - smartphones, tablets, media boxes with Android TV
- Smart TVs
- Gaming consoles
- DStv Explora
- Chromecast and AirPlay
Please note that application availability may vary from country to country. Features may differ between devices. Our “Mobile devices” plans, including Showmax Pro Mobile, will allow playback only on smartphones and tablets. (Please note that live sport from SuperSport, on Showmax Pro Mobile, is not available on any devices other than smartphones and tablets.)
For more detailed information on each platform, select the section from the Help menu.
- How do I sign up?
You can sign up and subscribe on the Showmax website.
- What subscription options are available?
Showmax offers a standard entertainment plan that gives subscribers unlimited access to series, movies, documentaries and kids’ shows on up to five different devices, with two simultaneous streams. Showmax Mobile offers access to the same content, with a single stream, and can be used on smartphones and tablets only.
Showmax Pro Mobile offers live-streamed sport, courtesy of SuperSport, and select live music and news channels. Showmax Pro Mobile is available on smartphones and tablets, and offers one stream.
Showmax Pro has been phased out with the relaunch of Showmax in 2023. A new offering focusing on the Premier League will be available for subscribers in certain markets in sub-Saharan Africa in the coming months.
- Do you offer a free trial?
No, at this time, we don't offer a free trial for any of our plans.
- In which countries can I access Showmax?
As of 1 December 2023, Showmax will not be available outside of sub-Saharan Africa, as the business focuses on the African market.
The new Showmax will be available in 44 markets in sub-Saharan Africa. There are a few African countries that will not have access to Showmax at launch but details will become available soon.
Showmax content may vary from country to country.
- Can I use Showmax on multiple devices?
Yes - our “All devices” Showmax plan allows you to register up to five devices and watch on two devices at the same time.
However, our “Mobile devices” Showmax Mobile and Showmax Pro Mobile plans allow you to watch on one mobile device only. Your first registered device used for playback is counted as your single device. You can watch trailers as well as browse the content catalogue on other devices, but playback will not be possible on a second device.
Read more about managing your devices in the section How do I manage my registered devices?
- What are the differences between the ”All devices” plans and the ‘’Mobile devices” plans?
The “All devices” Showmax plan can be used on multiple devices and the streaming quality is HD, plus you can stream on 2 devices at the same time.
The “Mobile devices” Showmax Mobile and Showmax Pro Mobile plans have certain restrictions and limitations, namely:
- Casting is not permitted (AirPlay, Chromecast).
- Only one registered mobile/ tablet device can be active & stream/ watch content.
- Online and downloads are of SD quality.
Got More Questions?
Our live customer service agents are here to help you - Start live chat.